Welcome Sophia Hope Bell!!!

Welcome Sophia Hope Bell!!!
Maddy has officially become a big sister!!

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Maddy's First Chrsitmas is in the books

Christmas was wonderful! We had lots of family around and Madelyn had a blast. She's developing so well. She is very close to rolling over. It should not be more than a week now. She's flinging the leg for momentum and has a very determined look on her face.



We removed the bandage from her surgical wound over her liver. I have seen lots of stuff as a medic in the army and working in ICU departments, but for a closed wound this one bothered me just a little. The edges are a little jagged, but that is probably due more to the way its healing. It is larger than I expected, but still not bad. I just think what we would be looking at had they chosen to operate on her chest, and feel relieved with what we actually did.

Sheila and I talked last night about Madelyn's condition. Sheila stated that when she looks at Madelyn, she doesn't see a "sick" child. I told her, however, that I do. It's odd to me how I look at her. I see her almost at a cellular level. There are things in her body that aren't supposed to be there. Her eye is really drooping at times, and you can't help but wonder if the eye is getting worse or if the sympathetic nerve pathway will ever be the same. If I haven't explained how her eye is related to her condition, let me do that now.

The tumor in Madelyn's chest started from her sympathetic nerve chain in her chest. It IS the nerve, not a tumor near is that presses on it. The sympathetic nervous system is the part of your nervous system that controls things you don't think about. When you open your eyes, you don't think about opening them equally. When you look at a bright light, you don't think to constrict you pupils to allow less light in. When its hot, you don't think about sweating. The sympathetic innervation (nerve connectivity) to her left eye and cheek have been interrupted by the nerve growing to become a tumor. If these tumors stop growing, there is no guarantee that the chain will return to 100% function. When the doctors originally said they were going in to her chest to possibly resect (cut out) the tumor in her chest, if they had done this, the nerve would be gone and it would never be right again. Right now we don't know how it will turn out even if the neuroblastomas stop growing and change to ganglioneuroblastomas or ganglioneuromas.

It seems petty to think about her having normal eye function when her life is technically still in danger, but you want your baby to be as normal as possible. When I think about her growing up and beginning her socialization, I worry that anything not seen as "normal" will cause her problems. Children can be cruel, and I have read where adults are still dealing with the psychological impact of having a droopy eye. Within 10 minutes, we heard conflicting statements from two surgeons on whether she would grow out of this, and the surgeons are partners in practice. Its not my research. As I said, it seems petty but what else can I do?

Right now, we are waiting for the results of the genetic analysis from California. The doctors don't expect anything back before next week. We may have an MIBG scan next week. In this test, they would inject Madelyn with a radioactive isotope of Iodine that usually bonds well to neuroblastomas. The purpose of the test is pretty much to see how well MIBG works on her tumors and how effective this will be as a future diagnostic test.

It scares me to death to think that right now we are just waiting and this thing could be growing. Again, I think about this at a cellular level. Are there more neuroblast cells today than yesterday? Are there less? Are the cells maturing as we hope? We aren't in a hospital, no one is sticking a needle in my baby, but part of me felt better when we were actively doing things versus waiting. I do trust our doctors, though, and I have faith she'll be fine but the waiting is torture.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to visit the blog and for your continued prayers and well wishes. We love you all and you continue to inspire us with your kind words and outporing of love. The best part of our day is when Sheila gets a text message on her phone that a new message has been posted. We read them aloud to each other, often looking at each other and saying, "Who is that?" because you have told so many people about Madelyn and people we have never met before are stopping by to wish Madelyn well. I can be pretty cynical, but this is amazing that people still care.

The Bell Family

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI RICK AND SHEILA, JUST READ THE BLOG RE MADELYN IN THE BOOKS. GREAT INFORMATION. RICK, JUST A THOUGHT FROM A FRIEND. I KNOW YOU HAVE BEEN IN THE MEDICAL FIELD,IT HAS BEEN A WHILE, BUT WE NEVER FORGET. YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE CLINICAL SIDE OF YOUR DAUGHTERS ILLNESS/ DISEASE. ANYONE WHO HAS DONE THE JOBS THAT WE HAVE DONE, AUTOMATICALLY GETS CLINICAL WITH OUR OWN FAMILY. IT ISN'T DONE CONSCIOUSLY. JUST THOUGHT I WOULD REMIND YOU OF SOMETHING THAT YOU KNEW IN THE PAST, BUT CAN BE BLINDSIDED BY UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. AS FAR AS MADELYN AND THE DROOPY EYE GOES. I WILL TELL YOU IT IS MINOR STUFF. THIS I SAY FROM EXPERIENCE. SHEILA WILL REMEMBER EVA FROM SCHOOL. SHE IS MY 26 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. WHEN SHE WAS 5, SHE CAUGHT CHICKEN POX, BUT TO COMPOUND THE SITUATION, SHE ALSO CONTRACTED SCARLET FEVER. THE COMBINATION LEFT HER WITH HORRENDOUS SCARRING. THERE WASN'T AN INCH ON HER BODY THAT DIDN'T HAVE A PUSTULE. AND ALL OF THEM ENDED UP CREATING CRATERS OR KELOIDS. I WAS DEVISTATED, AND ALWAYS THOUGHT INTO THE FUTURE, HOW WILL SHE BE EXCEPTED, THEY WILL ALL LAUGH, ETC, I THOUGHT MUCH LIKE YOU DO NOW. WELL, LET ME TELL YOU. MY EVA, HAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SMILE, HER EYES SPARKLE, AND HER PERSONALITY OUT SHINES EVERYONE AROUND HER. PEOPLE LOOK PAST THE IMPERFECIONS. ITS WE AS PARENTS , WHO BECAUSE WE LOVE OUR CHILDREN SO MUCH, AND WANT TO PROTECT THEM,WE ARE THE ONES WHO ALWAYS NOTICE THE LITTLE , AND I SAY LITTLE THINGS. THEY AREN'T THAT BIG TO THE CHILD, ITS WHO THEY ARE. MADELYN WILL OUTSHINE ANYONE THAT COMES ACROSS HER PATH IN LIFE. LOOK WHAT IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. EVERYONE SEES THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CHILD THAT GOD CREATED. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK, THE BLOG IS WONDERFUL. WE PRAY FOR ALL OF YOU. LOVE JACKIE

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheila & Rick!!

Yes, LOTS Of people still care. :O) We (Steve and I) love you both and adore Madelyn. I know that we aren't in contact as much as when you lived in Charleston, but I still care about what is happening in your lives. Everyday when I get home from work, I check the blog to see if additional information has been added. I feel the need to know and keep up with Madelyn's progress. I have sent out reqests for prayer to everyone I know and I know and have faith in a God that can heal this precious child, if it is in his will. God is in control, always has been and always will be. We don't know what is in his plan, but we have to have faith that whatever it is, he will give us the strength to make it through. I am certain that one day you will look back on this time and realize how many lives you touched, lives you didn't even know about. That through this experience and your faith in our Lord, Jesus Christ, that someone watching, reading and listening made a choice to change their life and believe. And maybe through their new found belief, they approached a difficult situation and made it better. It is all one big circle...and I have always firmly believed that everything happens for a reason. We may not know or understand why at this time...but God has a purpose in this situation.

Just remember, just because we are not in the same town, doesn't mean I don't think about you all daily. I know distance is not an excuse for not keeping in closer contact and hopefully we can remedy that at some point. I love you all and pray for you daily. Just remember, that God is in control.

Love,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Hi you guys, It's Dina again. I wanted to check on Maddie and see how you guys are. I am hoping that these tests will return the results you are praying for. She is such a pretty girl and my heart and prayers are with you. I hope the new year brings to you good news and happiness. Our thoughts are with you, Dina and Casey.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys, hope you had a wonderful New Year Madelyn was home so that is something!! I am praying for her everyday and hope the doctors return good news you and She only deserve the best out of life. I love y'all and think of you everyday.

Anonymous said...

Hi!! I'm glad to hear that you had a good Christmas. Your family has been constantly in my prayers. I understand what you are saying about kids being mean. I remember being picked on about wearing glasses & having curly hair. There will always be those few children who pick on others -mostly to make up for their lack of self confidence. I know that Madelyn will be brought up to be strong & know her self worth & if the time comes that some little bratty kid decides to tease her - I'm sure that she will be prepared to take up for herself & that little brat will regret ever saying anything!! I really enjoy the blog...keep us updated!

April Braswell

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick and Sheila. I have been continuing to pray for Maddy and check your blog page regularly. I sympathize with your clinical view Rick. My youngest son (now 13) has a genetic disorder which causes developmental delays and minor physical oddities. It has been 9 years since his diagnosis but I still remember all the fears that came with it. Try to keep in mind that God will watch out for Maddy and her heart in ways far beyond her medical condition. He has always surrounded my David with children who accept him and shielded him from others' cruelty. I believe He will do the same for Maddy. Though we all hope our children will be "perfect", none of them are. Some just have more visible flaws. If you continue to love her and follow God's lead, He will show you how to guide her over the hurdles, no matter what kind they may be. I will continue to pray for all of you and look forward to the wonderful news I believe you will be posting this week.......Leesah's friend Heather (nimat33@hotmail.com)